25Jul 2018

Summer Time Stings: What Happens If A Bee Stings My Dog or Cat?

bee sting


Summer Time Stings: What Happens If A Bee Stings My Dog or Cat?

When summer rolls around in Cleveland, Youngstown, Columbus, Beachwood, Shaker Heights, Strongsville, North Royalton, Brunswick, North Ridgeville, Avon, Westlake and all surrounding ares in Cuyahoga, Lorain, Medina, Summit, Canton, Stark and Stow counties – there’s a lot of dogs that need to beware.  A simple sting can turn into a serious situation.

My Dog Was Stung by a Wasp or Bee – What do I do?

One small sting can cause a lot of pain – depending on where the entry point is.  The pain threshold doesn’t change whether your dog is allergic or not allergic to bees or wasps.  One small sting is all it takes though and if they are allergic, things can go downhill fairly rapidly.  Especially if they are stung happens more sensitive areas like the nose, mouth or anywhere near the eyes. The venom injected is far far more painful than the actual sting itself.

It can be much more dangerous, even deadly, if they get stung inside the throat or are allergic to both insects.  Your dogs throat can swell up within 3 minutes and this can cause suffocation and inability to breathe, so pay attention if he gets stung.

It’s important to identify any symptoms and respond accordingly. This may be a simple topical treatment or require an emergency trip to the vet.  If you’re dog starts to show any early signs of swelling or difficulty breathing, it’s time to take him to the vet or nearest hospital immediately.


How to respond to a bee sting?

The response to a sting will be relatively quick. Swelling will be observed at the site, and your dog may show small signs of discomfort like licking or scratching.

Remove the sting carefully, either by flicking it off or securing it from the thinnest part of the base and not the top. Contrary to popular belief, avoid using tweezers as this can inject more venom from the top of the sting where the venom is contained.

Although the bite may seem benign at first, watch your dog to see if they develop an allergic reaction. To offer some relief, you can apply a mixture of water and baking soda, formed into a paste before applying.

The situation can be more serious if the dog has been bitten several times or if they are allergic to the chemical compounds of the sting. In this case, the dog will fatigue quickly, may salivate, experience abnormal swelling in the throat and face, have difficulty breathing and may even collapse. An emergency trip to the vet will be necessary.

Has your dog ever been stung by a wasp or bee?

If you’re dog has been stung before, share the results of what happened in the comments below or on our facebook page.  Either way we would like to know how you handled the situation and maybe through your first hand experience you can provide others with valuable information.



Get 50% off your first month!

Offer valid for new customers only.

Thank you! Your information has been successfully submitted.